Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Social Media Post

          For Social Media Week, I chose to do the "create your own resume portfolio in a website". What I did was created a specific resume for the job field I plan to partake in after college. After this I created a website that explains what I want to do and how I plan on doing. This website goes through my steps towards reaching my goals, and what I need to do to succeed along with the resume I can use for this. Its out their now and can be updating or changed as things change during my college years.
          I noticed that these articles did a great job of showing how easy it is to get your name out there and find a career in the field you wish to go into. Twitter especially plays a large role in this. It is soooo incredibly easy to go to any search engine and type in any name and come up with so much different information, some good some bad. So yeah, its a good thing but can also play a negative role on "you" getting out there to the world. Another one of the articles went over how easy it can be to spread news nowadays through social media such as twitter and facebook. You can add a photo or tweet about your plans for the afternoon and the next thing you know, 230 people know exactly whats happening at 3:00! Even if you are located in Mexico or France, if you have a "follower" or "friend" from the United States, they will know whats going on and your news is spread to a completely different country, kind of how Mexico did with their important information in the article. All of the articles went over how GREAT of a thing social media can be, but also how it can be a bad deal. If a future employee wants to see your background, they will go to facebook and see a picture that you may have not wanted others to see. This is a prime example of how social media is bad.
          What I came out of with this was that social media can make or break you. It's shaped how you shape it. If you want to be prim and proper, it can be great for your future and potential places of employment. However, if you go out every weekend and add those pictures of you holding a bud light and you are only 19 years of age, thats where it can all go south. Social media is most definitely a good thing, but you just need to think about what you do on it.

1 comment:

  1. I liked your choice of social media for this week. I think that the website will benefit you a lot in the future.

    ReplyDelete